Friday, May 11, 2007

I'm a Sister!

I went to Malice Domestic last weekend with $200 in my pocket. I looked around in the book room, saved the cash till the end, since I didn't know where I was going to eat, or who I was going to meet at the bar. Whn Sunday came, and I still had more than $100 left, I knew one thing for sure: I wanted to be a Sister-in-Crime.

Sisters-in-Crime is an organization that was created in 1986 by Sara Paretsky, among others, to protect, promote and support women in the Mystery field. Since then, the organization has grown to include these types of services for all writers in all parts of the country.

So, for $40, I joined up at the conference, and I now await confirmation that I am, in fact, a Sister. One of the things that has been recommended to me by several people is to join a subgroup of Sisters-in-Crime called the GUPpies. They are the Great UnPublished. They provide support to new writers in feedback on query letters and manuscripts, as well as creating a large pool of knowledge and experience from which to draw.

I have great hope for the future and will keep you updated on how everything works out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You won't regret it!

Jared said...

I bet you're right! I just got me confirmation today, off to do some more joining...