Monday, May 7, 2007

I Mean, Come On...


$1 Million per start. That's approximately what Roger Clemens will be pulling in this summer as a member of the New york Yankees. His contract actually says $28 million per year, but that is pro-rated for the 4 months he'll actually pitch, meaning he will get about $18.5 million before taxes. A top starter gets about 30 starts per year, so take away a third of the season, and Roger will be expected to make about 20 starts this year. Guh. If I were a Yankee fan, which I am not, I would be expecting a win each time this guy took the mound. And for a 45-year-old guy who has spent the last 3 years in the National League, I don't think he's going to get one every time out.


I'd look like this, too, if I had so much pressure on me:

All the fans expect is a World Series...
No problem.

And can we not talk about the Blue Jays? What's worse than having Roger Clemens back in the division? The fact that even without facing him on a regular basis yet, the Jays still can't beat anybody. I don't know the last time the Jays suffered two straight series sweeps, and I don't want to. I'll forget this week ever happened as soon as I can. I need to take my frustration out on somebody:

How about the Texas Rangers? They just swept the Jays and now have the same poor record as the Jays and are just as far out of a playoff spot. This is the second of four teams I have eliminated from the AL West, which leaves only Oakland and Anaheim as possible winners from this division. But, given recent history, that's not such a bad call. They had high hopes of rehabilitating some great careers in the likes of Sammy Sosa and Eric Gagne. It hasn't quite worked out for them yet. And probably won't this year. Bye bye Lone Star, it was nice while it lasted.

No comments: