Sunday, December 26, 2010

Weekend TV: Life 1.8

Crews and Reece investigate the murder of a polygamist spy. Meanwhile, Crews tracks Ames to a meeting only days before he winds up dead.



There isn't much in the way of transgressive action for our noir protagonist, or the darkness that he has found within himself, outside of some extra-curricular stalking. But there is a zen recording that bookends the episode and provides excellent insight into both Charlie's thought process and one of the basic tenets of the noir protagonist: that there is little difference between the criminal and those who walk the straight and narrow. The text goes something like this:

"We are none of us alone.
Even as we exhale, it is inhaled by others.
The light that shines upon me shines upon my neighbor as well.
In this way, everything is connected to everything else.
In this way, I am connected to my friend even as I am connected to my enemy.
In this way, there is no difference between me and my friend.
In this way, there is no difference between me and my enemy.
We are none of us alone."

And here is the back bookend, which I think works better:

No comments: