Monday, April 2, 2007

Oh Happy Day!

Today is one of my favorite days of the year. It's Opening Day for the baseball season. Normally, I'd be taking at least half a day off to sit home and watch as many games as I could, caught up in the excitement of anticipation, wondering whose moves will pay off and trying to guess who will perform this year. But I don't have a whole lot of cable at my house. Don't cry. It's actually a good thing. Less distraction. But it does put a damper on opening day when all I can watch is the Cubs and Reds. So, instead, I will be making extensive use of my mlb.com Gameday Audio subscription as I enter dozens of cataloging records at work.

What I've decided to do for the blog to celebrate Opening Day is to start a new game. You can play along if you'd like. Each week I'll pick one team to eliminate from any sort of possible World Series Championship this year. It's sort of a World Series Survivor. It will take 28 weeks to eliminate all of the remaining teams (I'm exempting the Blue Jays, as I don't think I'd be able to live with the guilt) and hopefully the last team standing will be the team that is actually holding the trophy in October. Then again, I might accidentally eliminate the eventual winner in July. We'll just have to see.

This first week's team is the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. They have never won more than 70 games in a season in their history, and I don't think that's going to change in a division that includes the Yankees, Blue Jays and Red Sox. I'm sorry Bay Area, but this is not your year.

Tune in next week to see who won't win!

No comments: