Friday, October 9, 2009

Bouchercon Preview, Volume 3

One last time, the whole program can be found here.

Saturday, October 17

9:00-9:55
David Morrell previously published a list of the 70 greatest thrillers on the International Thriller Writers website. The list has apparently been expanded to 100 and he is presenting it at Bouchercon, along with Lee Child and Barry Eisler. But Julie Hyzy and Thomas H. Cook are both speaking at the same time, Hyzy on "Criminal Consumables" and Cook on "The Cold Dead Hand of the Past." Plus, there is a Kindle demonstration.

Throughout the program is a concept called "Continuous Conversation" where three authors sit down and talk about whatever they want. One author leaves and is replaced by a new author every 15 minutes. From 9:30-10:15 on Saturday morning, Megan Abbott will be part of the group, and she may be able to pull me away from whatever panel I'm in.

10:30-11:25
At this time, Michael Connelly is leading a tribute to Edgar Allan Poe during the 200th anniversary of his birth. Also Harlan Coben is talking about "What Do You Need to Know in Order to Write a Crime Novel?" If I feel satisfied with the Connelly interview on Friday, I may end up at the latter panel.

1:30-2:25
Again there's a lunch. Then Sean Chercover and Louise Penny are talking about the Dilys Award. But there are some interesting conceptual panels, too. "War Crimes" talks about war's relationship with crime fiction, and "Bouchercon 1934" posits what a panel would look like 75 years ago.

2:30-3:25
I'd like to see Judy Clemens talk about "Rules for the Paranormal Mystery" and Harley Jane Kozak contribute to "The Humor Panel," but I'm also intrigued by "Dark Books for Dark Times."

The Anthony Awards ceremony starts at 4:15, and the reception starts immediately after. But it's only scheduled till 6pm, giving me another night on the Indianapolis streets. Or maybe I'll catch up on some sleep. Maybe I'll sleep at the bar.

Sunday, October 18

It's a long drive home to Rochester, NY, so we may leave fairly early. But I do think we want to check out The Bazaar, where authors hand out free copies of their books to promote reading and awareness. I dig it. And I may even drop an extra $5 for another 5 books.

But once I get home, I'm definitely sleeping. If my wife lets me.

1 comment:

Charles Benoit said...

Author bazaar? How'd I miss this every year?