Friday, August 3, 2007

It's Just a Movie

Last week, right here in our little 'burg, The Simpsons Movie started with a midnight screening in several of our theaters on the Thursday before it opened. In one of these theaters, there were young people trying to get into the theater without paying. They were knocking on the outside doors, trying to get people to open it and let them in. No one did. They tried other theaters, where the movies had already ended. They moved to the exterior doors. They finally managed to break in to one of the exterior doors, making a ruckus and attracting the attention of two employees.

When the trespassers were confronted, two of them ran directly at the employees and through the theater to another exit. One of the employees chased these two while the other employee was left to deal with the other intruders. They were told to leave, but instead attacked the employee, putting him in a headlock and striking him, then throwing him against a wall before they, too, fled.

Now, I love movies. I love the art, the atmosphere, the experience. I know that I would not be where I am or who I am today without the influence of film and my pursuit of my place in the world in relation to film. But there is no reason that we need to come to blows over a film, even if it's a hotbed of controversy.

But this is just stupid. I don't care how good the movie is, or how your social status is affected by being one of the first 500 people to see the movie at this location, which will be shown again in 11 hours, on multiple screens, likely 6 times a day for at least the next two weeks. There is no reason to do something like this just to see a movie. It's got to be easier to steal $7-$10 and pay for the movie, rather than risk assault charges.

My advice to other such stupid criminals: Don't do it. It's just a movie.

No comments: