Monday, January 21, 2008

Ed Hoch

I've never met Ed Hoch. I haven't even read that much of his work. But I've been aware of him.

In this business of publishing, that's saying something. I knew he lived in Rochester, and wrote of Rochester, or at least his version of it. And I knew that he was widely respected.

I guess I always assumed that I would meet him one day, however briefly. I would feel like I had nothing to say to him, a giant, but would have some connection in this small community of Rochester writers, and the even smaller community of Rochester crime writers.

Ed Hoch died on Thursday, so I won't get to meet him. But so many people that did meet him have had so many nice things to say about him. Check out these links provided at Confessions and The Rap Sheet.

This man had a career in writing. I could do worse than to try to follow in the trail that he blazed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I met him once, at Bouchercon 2006. I couldn't say he was a "nice man" because the only thing I could say about him was he was "pleasant." But many other people had wonderful things to say about him, so I will have to believe it when they say he was a very nice man. I'm saddened by his death.

Anonymous said...

Hey very cool blog!! Guy .. Excellent .. Wonderful .. I'll bookmark your web site and take the feeds also? I am glad to search out a lot of useful info here in the submit, we'd like work out more techniques
on this regard, thank you for sharing. .
. . . .

Also visit my weblog :: more info

Anonymous said...

ecig forum, best e cigarette, electronic cigarettes, electronic cigarette, e cigarette, electronic cigarette